I love modern J-pop/rock but over the past 6 months I’ve also started to listen to classic Japanese music from the late 80′s and the 90′s and I’ve got to say there’s a lot of brilliant songs that was released during that time so I give to you 5 of those songs I think warrant your attention. If they manage to interest you then why not seek out some more.
1. Lindberg – Believe In Love
2. Wink – Ai Ga Tomaranai (this’ll be familiar to many as it’s a cover of Kylie Minogue’s Turn It Into Love done Japanese style. Puffy Amiyumi have also covered this song.)
3. Onyanko Club – Kaiin Bango no Uta. Without this idol group there’d be no Morning Musume or AKB48. In fact it was Akimoto the current producer of AKB48 that came up with the concept of Onyanko Club so we have a lot to thank this man.
4. Pink Sapphire – Dakishimetai
5. Yumi Matsutoya – Hello My Friend